Clothes that fit make the difference between looking frumpy or looking effortlessly chic. This is where alterations come in. Simply altering a basic tee can make a world of difference! As a petite person who is often drawn to the sales rack, I tend to buy clothes that don’t fit me quite right. Ever since I got my sewing machine back in high school, I’ve saved hundreds if not thousands of dollars on alterations. Usually, they’re basic alterations like hemming pants or jeans or taking in shirts that are a smidge too big. If you know a few sewing basics like how to sew a straight stitch you can easily save tons of money on altering clothes yourself too. Below is a reference list of alterations!
- Jeans Waistband- get rid of that muffin top!
- Dress – add a panel
- Alter the waistband of jeans– take it in
- Alter a pencil skirt
- Alter a boxy shirt into a fitted one
- Shorten sleeves with cuffs
- Alter the shoulder width of a shirt
- No more baggy bottoms!
- Fit the bodice to get the right armhole fit
- Replace a zipper on a jacket or coat
- Alter sleeve shape for sleeves too tight in the shoulder or chest area
I also have this all pinned to my Alterations 101 board on Pinterest. Give it a follow if you’re a pinner like me, or bookmark this post for reference later!